Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Lens
Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM
At the long end of Canon's L-series lens lineup, the EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM is a super telephoto prime distinguished by its impressive reach and advanced optical design. Utilising two fluorite elements, one Super UD element, and one ultra-low dispersion element, chromatic aberrations and colour fringing is virtually eliminated and imagery exhibits notable clarity, sharpness, and colour accuracy. A Super Spectra coating has also been applied to suppress flare and ghosting in order to achieve greater contrast when working in backlit and harsh lighting conditions.
Beyond the optical attributes, the 800mm f/5.6 is also characterised by its advanced four stop-effective Image Stabiliser system, which has separate stabilisation modes to suit various shooting applications. Also complementing handling is a sophisticated ring-type USM, which provides quick, quiet, and accurate auto focus performance along with full-time manual focus override. Additionally, this lens is weather-sealed for use in trying environmental conditions and it has a rotating tripod collar to benefit working atop a tripod or mono pod.
- Super telephoto prime is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 1280mm equivalent focal length.
- Relatively bright f/5.6 maximum aperture affords control over depth of field for isolating subjects and producing selective focus imagery.
- Two fluorite elements, along with one Super Ultra-Low Dispersion element and one ultra-low dispersion element, are used to greatly reduce colour fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to achieve greater clarity and colour accuracy.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimise ghosting and flare for greater contrast and colour neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabiliser helps to minimise the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds. In addition to the single-shot standard IS mode, a second mode is also available that it optimised for panning.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with an internal focusing system, is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet auto focus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- A Focus Preset function is available to quickly recall a programmed focusing position.
- Focus Limiter switch lets you constrain the focusing to three different ranges to suit different applications: 19.7-65.6', 19.7'-infinity, or 65.6'-infinity.
- Rounded eight-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- As a member of the esteemed L-series, this lens is sealed against dust and moisture for working in inclement environmental conditions.
- Fixed rotating tripod collar benefits working with the lens atop a tripod or mono pod.
- Compatible with optional EF 1.4X and EF 2X teleconverters.
Canon EF 800mm F/5.6L IS USM Specs
Angle of View
Minimum Focus Distance
19.69' / 6 m
18 Elements in 14 Groups
Fixed and Rotating
52 mm (Drop-In)
Dimensions (ø x L)
6.42 x 18.15" / 163 x 461 mm
9.9 lb / 4.49 kg
- Reviews (0)
Be the first to review this product.
Leave your own review
Send this to a friend
Complete the form below and we’ll send the product details to a friend