Nikon 24-70mm f2.8E AF-S ED VR Lens
Nikon 24-70mm f2.8E AF-S ED VR Lens
The Nikon 24-70mm f2.8E AF-S ED VR lens is a fast, wide-angle to medium telephoto zoom that improves upon its predecessor in almost every aspect, in terms of image quality, optical construction, build and speed. Faster, stronger and steadier than ever, the lens is equipped with Nikon’s latest VR system with four-stops of Image Stabilisation and Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor (SWM), which is up to 1.5 times faster than the SWM used in the 24-70mm f2.8G version. Additionally, the lens comes with an electromagnetic diaphragm to enable consistent, more precise exposures during high-speed bursts.
24-70mm f2.8E AF-S ED VR: Key Features
Faster. Stronger. Steadier.
- Professional f/2.8 standard zoom: 24-70mm focal length range (DX-format equivalent: 36–105mm). The go-to wide-angle to medium telephoto zoom, no matter what you shoot.
- Fast f/2.8 aperture: enables exceptional low-light performance and consistent exposure across the entire zoom range.
- Vibration Reduction (VR): minimises camera shake and lets you shoot at shutter speeds up to four stops slower. *1
- Superb performance: this lens yields outstanding clarity and contrast throughout the frame. The optical design effectively counters colour fringing and chromatic aberration, and controls distortion throughout the zoom range.
- Advanced optical construction: includes a newly developed aspherical extra-low-dispersion (ED) glass element, as well as three aspherical lens elements, two ED glass elements and a High Refractive Index (HRI) element.
- Nano Crystal Coat: reduces ghosting and flare for greater image clarity.
- Electromagnetic diaphragm: enables consistent, more precise exposures during high-speed bursts.
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM): ultra-fast, ultra-quiet autofocus performance with seamless manual override.
- Rugged and reliable: resilient and sturdy construction built for intensive and demanding professional use.
- Fluorine coating: actively repels water, dust, and dirt without compromising image quality. The coating is applied to the protective glass on the front and rear elements of the lens, where it also makes it easier to clean the glass without damaging the surface.
- Included: detachable hood with lock, and soft case.
The addition of Nikon’s impressive Vibration Reduction (VR), a brand new optical construction and a more sturdy build breathe new life into this renowned lens. Edward Allinson, Junior Product Manager for Lenses & Accessories at Nikon UK says: "The 24-70mm is a new and improved update to the already successful 24-70mm f/2.8G. Nikon has improved every aspect of this legendary lens in terms of image quality, construction, build and speed, as well as adding more stability with VR, minimising camera shake and allowing photographers to shoot at slower shutter speeds. This is an exceptional lens built to keep up with the demands of the professional photographer."
Advancing a legend
Although the current 24-70mm (introduced with the Nikon D3 in 2007) is still widely acclaimed, the new incarnation of this lens takes performance to another level. In a first for any NIKKOR lens, the new optical design includes an aspherical ED glass element. Developed to combat chromatic aberrations and coma, this new element reduces light fall-off and enables uncompromised resolution at the peripheries. The brand new VR system minimises camera shake and lets you shoot at shutter speeds up to four stops slower.¹ AF is also improved thanks to Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor (SWM), which is up to 1.5 times faster than the SWM used in the 24-70mm f/2.8G. The addition of an electromagnetic diaphragm enables consistent, more precise exposures during high-speed bursts, reducing the risk of accidental damage that can be associated with mechanical lever mechanisms.
Nikon’s new 24-70mm lens is ready to withstand the punishment that comes with years of daily professional use. While the optical design is complex, with 20 elements in 16 groups and Nano Crystal Coat, Nikon has strengthened the construction of this lens to create a tougher product. The included hood is a small but important improvement. Nikon listened to pro feedback and placed the release lock in a recess to prevent accidental removal. Naturally, the lens is fully weather sealed. A fluorine coating applied to the front and rear elements of the lens actively repels water, dust, and dirt without compromising image quality. And the coating makes it easier to clean the glass without damaging the surface.
CL-M3 Lens Case, HB-74 Lens Hood, LC-82 Lens Cap, LF-4 Lens Cap
- Reviews (0)
Be the first to review this product.
Leave your own review
Send this to a friend
Complete the form below and we’ll send the product details to a friend